[DGD] Small note plus a draft FAQ

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Dec 24 13:13:44 CET 1997

Gregory D Lewis <glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au> wrote in his draft FAQ:
>[...]
> What is DGD?
> ------------
>
> DGD is an LPMud driver.

I prefer the term "LPC driver" or "LPC server"...  though 2.4.5 compatibility
has been maintained so far, DGD is evolving further and further away from
the original LPMud concepts.  Things like parse_string(), atomic execution
and multithreading are going to be very fundamental changes/additions.

>[...]
> DGD stands for Dworkin's Generic Driver, being named after its author and
> developer -- Dworkin (Felix Croes).  This originally was Dworkin's Game
> Driver but was changed at some stage.

At the suggestion of Robert Leslie, author of LPMOO.

>[...]
> DGD is available for Unix-like operating systems on just about any platform
> and for Windows 95/NT (PCs), MacOS (Macs), Amigas and Ataris.  You will
> find the Unix distribution in the top directory of the distribution site as
> dgd-1.1.tar.gz (patches up to 1.1p5 are available in the patches
> directory).  Binaries for Windows are available in the pc directory in zip
> format and for the Mac in the mac directory as binhex'ed stuffit archives.
> The distributions for the Amiga and Atari are in the amiga and atari
> directories and are in lha and zoo archive formats respectively.

The Atari version is pretty much out of date, and it doesn't look like
there is going to be a new release.  By the way, up to version 1.0.8,
I did development on Minix for the Atari.

I expect to release a BeOS version of the 1.1 stable branch in January 1998.

>[...]
> Melville		This was a minimalistic mudlib written for DGD
> 			1.0.9.

1.0.8