[DGD] Dworkin's Kernel library

Kevin Carpenter kevinc at kplace.monrou.com
Sat Dec 27 01:41:12 CET 1997

All -

Could anyone, per chance, expand on section 9 of Felix's Overview
document?

Since I have a little time off during the Holidays, I wanted to
spend it familiarizing myself with life under 1.1.28 vs what I
know at 1.0.50.  I figured the best way would be to start from
scratch and learn his kernel library.

I started by building 1.1.28, with net-10, a verifying the default
system works.  It prompts for a login - that's close enough for now.

Following what my feeble mind could in the Overview document:

1) I "created" a user.c in /usr/System/obj by copying the default one
from /kernel/obj.

2) Created a VERY basic /usr/System/telnet_manager.c:

object select(string str) {
   return(clone_object("/usr/System/obj/user"));
}

int query_timeout(object connection) {
   return(60);
}

string query_banner(object connection) {
   return("Welcome to Kevin's Development Mud.\n");
}

3) Created /usr/System/initd.c:

void create(int clone) {
    object obj;
    obj = compile_object("/usr/System/telnet_manager");
    "/kernel/sys/userd"->set_telnet_manager(obj);
}

When starting the driver, it initializes without error, but telneting
to the port 6047 results in a refused connection.  Of course, renaming
initd.c and restarting results in the normal default login prompt.

Now I obviously didn't spend weeks trying things, but did put in an
hour or three.  Admittedly, I have a cold, and my brain isn't totally
functional.  Any help would be appreciated.
--
Kevin Carpenter
(Expressing his comments from home in St. Louis, where this message originated)