[DGD] Re: mudlibs

Gregory D Lewis glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Oct 2 15:49:35 CEST 1997

> I think one of the main problems with getting DGD to become more popular
> is that there isn't a really nice base mudlib to start with (to my infor-
> mation at least) - a nice 'starters pack' would usually have to include
> basic features such as inventories, actions, etc. Also, some decent
> inherits might be nice.

This is true, but I am pretty sure there are quite a few people working on
mudlibs for release.  I know that I am (ever so slowly though and I figure
someone else will have one out before mine gets to the useful stage).

> What I have done for the mud I'm working on was to use the 2.4.5 simlib
> as a base, but to almost completely rewrite it in the long run (apart
> from maybe some parts of the auto object). Also, I have added quite a
> few kfuns which I felt are pretty handy. I even added a this_player()
> kfun and I intend to add inventory related functions in the longer run
> (sorry Dworkin ;-)

*ponder* I don't quite see how this_player() is needed when there is a
this_user() kfun?  How is it different?

> Is there some kind of rather large library of kfun/patches for e.g.
> string related functions, etc? There are some things that don't come
> with the driver, but maybe be of value to people who are used to them.

What sort of string related functions are you after?  I am also interested
in why you feel they should be kfuns rather than efuns.  I generally only
add kfuns if I think something can't be done as an efun.

I haven't got a large library of string kfuns, but I have got some regular
expression kfuns.  If people are interested I am about to release the second
version of this which fixes what I thought was the major downfall of the first
release.  Unfortunately the fix isn't as elegant as it could be but is
probably as elegant as it will get since anything better forces the kfun
package to be chummier with the main driver code than I would like (increases
maintenance more than I thought was warranted).  Btw, no this is not the
rgx package you'll find on most dgd ftp sites.  How it differs and why I
wrote it are in the documentation.

The first release is available (along with the first release of the mdbm
package for interfacing with ndbm and gdbm databases) at
http://www.enol.com/~asmith/drf/
Both packages are about to get a second release though, hopefully this weekend.
So if you are interested I would suggest waiting :).

--
Greg Lewis                              Applied Maths Department
Email : glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au    University of Adelaide