[DGD] Re: Continuous muds

E. Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 16 15:31:51 CEST 1998

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Adam David wrote:

[...rollback description...]

> Interesting. Is the restore automated?

Yes.  Fortunately I haven't been able to see it run in practice (it's only
been there for 2 days and our host hasn't had a power-failure yet *grin*),
but when testing it at home it looked promising. :-)

The way I automated it is by creating a 'rollback' script to which actions
are added as files and directories are modified/changed/removed.  After
every statedump I flush both the script and the accompanying data, of
course.  When restarting the mud from an 'older' statedump, the script is
read and actions from it are done, starting at the last line, heading
forward.  At the end of that the filesystem should (ignoring timestamps,
alas) be in the state that it was when the statedump was created.

Hope that helps :-)

Erwin.
--
  Erwin Harte / work: erwin at research.techforce.nl / play: harte at xs4all.nl