[DGD]Automatically inherited objects

Robert Jones robertbjones at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 1 11:49:56 CET 1998

    I've seen reference made to the possibility of having certain
objects implicitly inherit an object other than the auto object (once
in a message by Erwin Harte, and elsewhere that I can't recall at the
moment.)  My question is:  How?

    My (none-too-original) design consists of a bare-bones kernel lib,
and Everything Else.  I'd like to be able to have Everything Else
inherit from a second "auto" object automatically, so that I can place
additional restrictions on the behavior of objects outside of the
kernel.  However, I don't see how I can achieve this.  Changing the
behavior of inherit_program() in the driver object would seem to be
the obvious solution except that inherit_program() isn't called in the
case of the auto object.

    So, any solutions to this problem would be greatly appreciated.  I
can certainly meet my goals without using this technique, but I have
my doubts that another solution would be as elegant (plus, redesigning
makes me grouchy.)  I realize that the has probably been posted at
some point in the past, but I no longer possess my archives of the
list, and the archive link on imaginary.com is broken.

Regards,
Robert Jones
robertbjones at yahoo.com