[DGD]varargs void foo(object bar)

Gregory D Lewis glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Tue Dec 1 15:09:46 CET 1998

Dworkin wrote:

> Note that 3) and 4) are always identical, from the called function's
> point of view.  Unlike MudOS, DGD has no way to distinguish a
> destructed object value from a zero value.

I believe at one point you suggested a "null" value may be introduced in
a future version (2.0?) of DGD?

> Both LPC and Java have their strengths and weaknesses.  The greatest
> advantage that LPC has over Java may be multiple inheritance.

Some would argue:
1) Multiple inheritance isn't an advantage, its an unnecessary complication.
2) Java (at least partially) solves this issue with interfaces and inner
   classes.

Not that I'm necessarily one of these "some" :).  I actually like DGD's multiple
inheritance model, its very clean and implemented much better than that in
the other LP drivers (that I know of).

As for LPC displacing Java, folks are aware of Pike?  If not then I suggest
a look at http://pike.idonex.se/ for a lnaguage that looks "strangely" like
LPC (ok, well not strangely once you know who wrote it :).

It would be nice (imho) to see LPC getting byte compiled into byte code that
could be run on a Java VM.  Maybe an extra niceness would be the ability to
interact with Java objects in this situation a la JPython.

--
Greg Lewis                              Applied Maths Department
Email : glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au    University of Adelaide