[DGD]DGD 1.1.48 and MSVC 5.0

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu Dec 24 15:19:42 CET 1998

"Wim van der Vegt" <wvd_vegt at knoware.nl> wrote:

> The debug build runs normally (i can start the 245 mudlib). The release
> build won't start the mudlib (it changes the caption to reflect the loaded
> mudlib and thats it).

That is very similar to the other bug report I got.  The difference
between the debug build and release build is mostly optimization.
Since I cannot compile DGD with full optimization even under MSVC
4.0, I suspect the reason is some bug in the 5.0 codegenerator.  Or
perhaps the optimization options have been shuffled around between
4.0 and 5.0, so that the safe optimizations I selected for 4.0 now
map to unsafe ones in 5.0.

> Furthermore are there some minor memoryleaks:
>[...]

These are normal.  I didn't bother to deallocate all of the MFC
objects before the program exits.

> And after an file|exit it gives a protection fault:

That is not normal, but since the compiled binary is known to be
bad already I don't know if it is significant.

> During compile the normal (long) list of warnings about signed & unsigned
> operations.

I recommend that everyone compiling DGD with MSVC 5.0 turns off
(some) code optimization.