[DGD] Release Postponement

Jason Cone jcone at cs.tamu.edu
Mon Feb 9 16:45:43 CET 1998

Greetings.

I mentioned sometime in the last week or two that I was going be releasing a
code base for DGD.  This is going to be delayed quite a bit for several
reasons.  There has been a somewhat useful thread on r.g.m.lp regarding
command parsing and has caused me to rethink the use of verbs vs.
object-defined commands.  I currently use global verbs for all in-game
commands, but several usability issues have reared their ugly head and I'm
going to take some time to address them before making a release.  Similarly,
there has also been a discussion regarding security on the aforementioned
newsgroup.  While I use a stack-based design for security, a few people have
proposed ideas which (I think) warrant consideration.  This shouldn't entail
a major overhaul, but any change in security design necessitates a thorough
testing before being declared "secure".

This is FYI, I guess.  If any of you have been following these threads (I
know Felix has) and have thoughts as they relate to DGD in particular, I'd
like to hear them.  Heck, even if you haven't been following them, post 'em.
;)

Hasta,

Jason Cone

||                         ||  "Hard work spotlights the character  ||
|| Jason H. Cone           ||   of people:  some turn up their      ||
|| Dept. Computer Science  ||   sleeves, some turn up their noses,  ||
|| Texas A&M University    ||   and some don't turn up at all."     ||
|| jcone at cs.tamu.edu       ||             - Sam Ewing               ||