[DGD] Re: DGD Intermud-3 Channel

Gregory D Lewis glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Feb 19 04:27:57 CET 1998

> >With parse_string available I'd quite like to see the development of a
> fairly
> >standard closure/function pointer syntax for DGD using it.  I think this is
> >one area DGD is somewhat lacking (IMHO).
>
> I totally agree about the need of a function pointer.  How would you go
> about fixing this with parse_string()?  I'd be willing to take a break from
> lib coding to develop something like this.
>
> jc

>From memory (Felix might need to correct me if I'm wrong :) Felix at one
stage released an implementation of the LPMud 3.2 (Amylaar) lambda closures.
I think I still have this at home -- it came with an earlier 2.4.5 simulation.
This, in part, involved parsing a string which contained the closure code.
With parse_string we could this do this much more efficiently and elegantly
(no criticism of Felix's implementation intended, I'm sure he acknowledges
parse_string makes this task a lot easier :).  Something like that may be
a candidate for how to do function pointers, although I would prefer we
didn't use the 3.2 lambda closure syntax as it reminds me of line noise.

Another interesting thing would be a scripting language for object creation
(.e.g LPScript from the LIMA mudlib), which has also been made a lot more
feasible with parse_string.

--
Greg Lewis                              Applied Maths Department
Email : glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au    University of Adelaide