[DGD] Re: Function Points & parse_string()

Jason Cone jcone at cs.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 19 06:14:06 CET 1998

>Something like that may be
>a candidate for how to do function pointers, although I would prefer we
>didn't use the 3.2 lambda closure syntax as it reminds me of line noise.

I remember reading about that simulation in the FAQ (I think it was the FAQ,
at least).  I looked for it for a while in various DGD-related locations,
but to no avail.  I agree that it shouldn't take on the 3.2 closure syntax,
but it would seem like a decent undertaking to simulate something like
function pointers with parse_string().  I'm assuming by function pointers
you mean the (: :) syntax that MudOS uses.  I guess the only problem I'm
having with that is where does the actual call to parse_string() go?  I'm no
good at visualizing stuff like this. ;)

||                         ||  "Hard work spotlights the character  ||
|| Jason H. Cone           ||   of people:  some turn up their      ||
|| Dept. Computer Science  ||   sleeves, some turn up their noses,  ||
|| Texas A&M University    ||   and some don't turn up at all."     ||
|| jcone at cs.tamu.edu       ||             - Sam Ewing               ||