[DGD] Question for mudlib developers

Kevin Carpenter kevinc at kplace.monrou.com
Sat Feb 21 16:40:32 CET 1998

Felix A. Croes write:

> Which of you use DGD to develop mudlibs for persistent muds, which
> start with one cold boot and thereafter reboot from state dump?
>
> Dworkin

I played with it when developing my mudlib, but found it abit
cumbersome at the time (pre 1.0 DGD).  I had two major problems:
1) If I made a dramatic change to something fundemental, like the
auto object, it seemed cleaner to restart the mud from scratch.
2) At the time, DGD didn't support an automatic shutdown signal,
which prevented saving the world.  I considered do a state dump
every hour or so, but the dump time started exceeding a reasonable
period (like it wouldn't be complete if I manually dumped the mud
and immediately issued a system shutdown).

I really like the concept, but havn't had the discipline to
implement it in a user-friendly fashion.  I'll define that, in an
overly simplistic way, as being able to do a character auto-save.
Yes, I could still do that, but if I have to start manageing save
files for all the critical objects, whats the point?

--
Kevin Carpenter
(Expressing his comments from home in St. Louis, where this message originated)