[DGD] Extremely large nested structures

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Wed Jul 1 20:20:37 CEST 1998

Evening everyone,

I've been looking at using octrees to implement a 3D mechanism.  What this
means is that I'll need some sort of large nested structure with 8
elements, within each element may be another 8 elements.

So... would it be idiotic to have bookkeeping objects that contain one
octree with a depth of roughly 11+?  Note that octrees can and will be
sparse so it wouldn't always take up 1024*1024*1024 elements.  Is this bad
for the driver?  Affects on swapping?  I'm hoping arrays are shared within
an object so can pass the array around within without any adverse
affects...

Alternatively... I could set up an object version of the same structure.
Each node = one object....

_O_O_  Elec Eng Dept, Loughborough University, UK.     kllo at iee.org