[DGD] Individual messages

Mikael Lind z94lind at mtek.chalmers.se
Fri Jul 17 21:02:17 CEST 1998

Note that this isn't really a DGD-specific question. I hope that's okay.

I'm considering having my DGD-based mudlib generate individual messages for
interested observers when something happens. For instance, if a werewolf
wields a sword:

The werewolf: You wield the sword.
The sword: The werewolf wields you.
Other observers: The werewolf wields a sword.

Or, if an elf smacks an orc:

The elf: You smack the orc mercilessly.
The orc: The elf smacks you mercilessly.
Other observers: The elf smacks an orc mercilessly.

I hope that you get my point. In these cases the solution seems easy.
Generate one message for the subject (the elf in the latter case), one for
the object (the orc) and one for everybody else.

The problem is, what if the orc is invisible? And some of the observers can
see invisible creatures, while others can't? If the elf is known as Elemelf
to some observers, while he's anonymous to others?

The solution that I came up with (and which probably isn't anything new) is
using message packets from which an each observer can generate a proper
message if she wants to. But it feels like a lot of work and I'm not sure
if it's worth it...

Could anyone of you give me a hint? If you feel that the thread is off-topic
you can reply to my address instead of the reply-to address. I'm only
familiar with the old LPmud solutions, specifically Igormud.

PS. My mother sends her regards. (?)

L Mikael "eLeMeL" Lind                :: I wished for 4 cursed scrolls
z94lind at mtek.chalmers.se              :: of gold detection and all I
http://www.mtek.chalmers.se/~z94lind/ :: got was this lousy .signature