[DGD] Re: What to do at interrupt() time?

Kevin Carpenter kevinc at kplace.monrou.com
Fri Jun 12 20:27:14 CEST 1998

Felix A. Croes write:

> DGD does <not> shut dowm automatically on a kill signal.  There may be
> a good reason to postpone the actual shutdown a bit; for example, there
> may be connections open that require a dialog to shut down properly.
> Therefore, all that happens is that driver_obj->interrupt() is called.
> What is done here depends on the particular mud.

What I'm about to say is rather obvious, but here it is anyway:

I had hoped to use the interrupt() system to create a dump file when a
Linux shutdown() was occuring.  Unfortunetly, on occassion I found the
process was being killed (presumably by a cleanup kill -9) before the
dump file was completely written.  This was not good...  I havn't given
it any thought, but I'm going to have to do something in the Linux
shutdown sequence to allow DGD to completely shutdown prior to having
its process caught in some cleanup routine.

--
Kevin Carpenter
Kevin's Home Page: http://kplace.monrou.com/kevinc