[DGD] Re: What to do at interrupt() time?

Adam David adam at veda.is
Fri Jun 12 20:42:22 CEST 1998

> I had hoped to use the interrupt() system to create a dump file when a
> Linux shutdown() was occuring.  Unfortunetly, on occassion I found the
> process was being killed (presumably by a cleanup kill -9) before the
> dump file was completely written.  This was not good...  I havn't given
> it any thought, but I'm going to have to do something in the Linux
> shutdown sequence to allow DGD to completely shutdown prior to having
> its process caught in some cleanup routine.

I have the same problem on FreeBSD, it has been on my TODO for too long and
other unrelated priorities have eclipsed it from view. The trick would seem
to be modifying the kernel (or more likely init(8)) to keep track of which
daemon processes must announce their being ready or willing to die, or
something along similar lines. DGD would then be modified to register itself
as a longrunning daemon process requiring such special treatment.

--
Adam David <adam at veda.is>