[DGD] Auto object question

Jason Cone jcone at cs.tamu.edu
Tue Jun 30 06:11:47 CEST 1998

Greetings.

It's been entirely too quiet around here of late, so here's a question to break
the silence...

For the purposes of answering my question, let's assume that the entire code
base consists of 2 functions and 1 variable.  This is asinine, I know, but it
makes asking the question a lot easier.  My question is this:  Without bringing
LPC -> C into the picture, are there any performance gains in having that code
reside in the auto object as opposed to another class that has to be explicitly
inherited?

The design problem/issue that I'm running into is that I currently have a subset
of functionality in the auto object which works great.  That functionality,
however, is not used by every class.  I'd like to extract that functionality
into a separate class that other classes can explicitly inherit if the
functionality is needed.  As a specific example, I have object inventory and
trigger (add_action()-like functions - see previous posts in this list)
functionality in the auto object.  I'd like to extract it because we have
several hundred bin commands, soul commands, and verbs that won't ever touch
that kind of stuff.  Daemons fall in the same boat, too.  My main concern is,
though, that for those objects that <do> use the inventory and trigger
functionality, will they take a huge performance hit in speed/overhead/etc in
having to explicitly inherit the appropriate class to gain that functionality?

Man, I hope that made sense.

--
  Jason H. Cone
  Dept. Computer Science
  jcone at cs.tamu.edu

  "Even in the gigantic and the ideal, the dream, which is
   completely spontaneous, takes and keeps the form of our
   mind."
                                             - Victor Hugo