[DGD] Re: 1.1.37

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Mar 16 10:53:23 CET 1998

Jason Cone <jcone at cs.tamu.edu> wrote:
>[...]
> >+  - New kfuns: query_ip_name(), send_datagram() (at present for Unix
> only).
>

> Out of curiosity, how does this send_datagram() differ from that of the net
> package?

It differs a great deal: in 1.1.37, an UDP connection is initiated only
if binary_connection_obj->open() returns non-zero, and if a UDP datagram
is thereafter received from the same host and port as the TCP connection
is on.  Send_datagram() can then be used to send data to the same host
and port that the first packet came from (after the first packet has been
received, use of send_datagram() is unrestricted; note that the function
takes only one argument, the data to be sent).

So, the UDP connection is tied to the TCP connection, and will only work
with a specially made client.  It is intended as an enhancement of the
existing binary connections, not as raw UDP support as in the net
package.

> If it doesn't differ, how much sense would it make to go ahead and
> make the net package a standard feature of DGD?

As you can see, it does differ a great deal.  Moreover, I consider the
functionality of the net package unsafe and will <never> make it a
part of DGD, no matter how much sense this would make to others.

Abandon all Hope for inclusion in DGD, Ye who use the Net Package.