[DGD] Re: Net Security

Jason Cone jcone at cs.tamu.edu
Wed Mar 18 14:58:10 CET 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Mikael Lind <z94lind at mtek.chalmers.se>
To: Jason Cone <jcone at cs.tamu.edu>; dgd at imaginary.com <dgd at imaginary.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 18, 1998 12:54 AM
Subject: [DGD] Re: Net Security

I'm sure people are doing this unknowingly, but would you kindly refrain
from including my email address in the reply? :)  In fact, I may have
started the chain of events with some quirky posting the other night.
Anyway, seeing double is fun for only so long. ;)

>As far as I know, precompiled objects will still be represented by an LPC
>object. If this object (which exists at startup) is destructed, the object
>won't use the precompiled version of itself the next time it is compiled.
>(While the system is up...) That means that the security issue still comes
>down to breaking the access system.

You're right.  If someone destructs the auto object and reloads it, the new
copy will be loaded as an "interpreted" copy, if you will.  However, and
this may be considered a weakness of my own lib, but it's impossible to
destruct the auto object in my setup.  I've posted on the matter before and
understand how to correct this, but since changes to the auto object (in our
case) take place only every know and then I'm actually wanting to keep this
"feature."  So, yes, I was wrong in implying that the "solution" was an end
all to the problem for every given setup; it is for mine, but not
everyone's.

--
  Jason H. Cone
  Dept. Computer Science