[DGD] Verb Parsing Ideas

Jason Cone jcone at cs.tamu.edu
Mon May 11 17:07:33 CEST 1998

Greetings.

During the past month or so we've been developing on CornerStone, along with
other things, a fully-functional MudOS-like verb parser using the
parse_string() kfun.  I'm posting this because I'd like to get some feedback
from those that are 1) Familiar with the strengths/weaknesses of the MudOS
model and 2) Familiar with, and have used, the parse_string() kfun to some
degree.  I'd rather this discussion not turn into a verb vs. object-defined
command debate - we've already thought of that. :)  In addition to verbs, we
provide add_action()-like functionality that can opt to use the verb rule
parser.  We call them triggers as opposed to add_action()'s.

Anyway, if there's significant (even 1 or 2 people) interest in discussing
this, I'll follow up with a detailed outline of what we've done.  Also, I'd
like to get some feedback on the pros/cons of release mudlib sources.  I'll
start another subject for that, though.

--
  Jason H. Cone
  Dept. Computer Science
  jcone at cs.tamu.edu

  "Even in the gigantic and the ideal, the dream, which is
   completely spontaneous, takes and keeps the form of our
   mind."
                                             - Victor Hugo