[DGD] Re: Out of curiosity...

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed May 27 18:49:16 CEST 1998

Stephen Schmidt <schmidsj at union.edu> wrote:

> This brings up a more general question; would someone be kind
> enough to tell me exactly what the declarations "static", "private",
> and "nomask" do when applied to a function, and what they do when
> applied to a variable if that is different? I suspect that everyone
> on this list except me knows the answer :) and if so, a reply by
> email would be fine. Or, if this is in the DGD documentation somewhere
> that I haven't seen it, a pointer to the appropriate file would be
> fine too.

variables:

    static	not saved by save_object(), not affected by
		restore_object()
    private	not visible from inheriting objects (as opposed to
		MudOS, where it is just an error to access it from an
		inheriting object); implies static
    nomask	all variables are automatically nomask, and this keyword
		cannot be used with variables

functions:

    static	can only be called from the same object.
		In the auto object, behaves like a kernel function:
		cannot be called with this_object()->func() and calls
		to it are not redirected if the function is masked.
    private	same as for variables
    nomask	cannot be masked by an inheriting object; contradicts
		private
    atomic	(not yet implemented) an uncaught error in an atomic
		function will cause all changes made from that function
		to be undone