[DGD] Re: Parsing grammar problem

Reimer Behrends behrends at student.uni-kl.de
Sun May 31 08:25:09 CEST 1998

On Sat, May 30, 1998 at 11:20:36PM -0500, Jason Cone wrote:
> As sure as I am that the grammar's more or less correct, it's entirely
> possible that something's not quite right with it.  That's why I'd like
> feedback on it.
[...]
>   element_list: element_list ',' element_list
[...]
>   assoc_element_list: assoc_element_list ',' assoc_element_list

I haven't yet looked at the parsing algorithm in some depth, but the two
rules above produce a lot of ambiguous parsings (for instance, A, B, C
can be parsed as both (A, B), C and A, (B, C) -- with the number of
possible parses being of order O(exp(n)), where n is the list length. At
the very least that's not desirable, and probably the cause of your
troubles, too.

				Reimer Behrends