[DGD] Re: DGD Y2K proof?

harte at xs4all.nl harte at xs4all.nl
Sun May 31 21:31:09 CEST 1998

Quoting your message from 31 May:
| Hi
|
| Just out of interest, a perhaps not so obvious question:
|
| Is dgd (and you could extend it to other drivers and mudlibs too) year 200
| proof?

I assume you mean year 2000. :-)

There are two ways in which you could run into trouble with DGD, as far
as the Y2K problem goes (that I can see):

1. The time() kfun screws up when the year 2000 starts.

   This entirely depends on your operating system and/or hardware.

   I have no idea if W95 or NT are Y2K-compliant, but any unix that I
   know will function quite happily until at least January 19 04:14:07
   of the year 2038, and I assume that by then most of them will have
   been upgraded to versions that use more data to store the number
   of seconds passed since 1970.

   At any rate, DGD uses that value directly, and the only one
   interpreting it is 'ctime()', which does so correctly, so I don't
   see any problems there.

2. You store or make calculations/comparisons about/with years using
   only 2 of the 4 digits in the year-position.

   Here DGD can do all it wants, but it can't help you if you write
   programs like that.

Hope this helps a bit,

Erwin -- Hmpf, I thought DGD was supposed to be fun and play, this
         sounds more like work to me. :-)