[DGD] Re: Why C instead of C++

Gregory D Lewis glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Mon Oct 26 17:26:28 CET 1998

> Hi,
>
> I was coding some stuff (a stringlib) in C++ (I'm fairly new to C++) and i
> wondered why the dgd driver doesn't use C++ for its strings and objects.
> Especially the operator overloading seems really useful to me.
>
> I'm sure that you have your reasons for this but i don't know them. Could
> you please tell me what the disadvantages of C++ are in this case?
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc Spoorendonk

Dworkin has summed this up pretty well :).

In addition, you might be interested in looking at

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/tplist/catBuild/portable-cpp.html

which is the set of restrictions the Mozilla project place on people submitting
C++ code to try and ensure portability.  Many of the benefits of C++ go out the
window!

With the release of the recent ANSI C++ standard however one would hope that
writing portable C++ programs may become a lot more practical in a year or
so (depending on how long compiler writers take to implement the standard).

--
Greg Lewis                              Applied Maths Department
Email : glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au    University of Adelaide