[DGD] Documentation Effort

Rob Leslie rob at mars.org
Wed Sep 9 22:30:44 CEST 1998

I think contributing to create a generalized body of knowledge about DGD is a
good idea. Among us there is a great deal of experience; why not find a way to
share it as best we can?

I would like to propose an experiment, whereby all of us are able to
contribute. Since no single person is likely to want or be effective enough to
take on the entire task, I suggest a more collaborative model: a set of
documents maintained in whole by the group.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of a CVS repository tied to a web
server, or something like HTTP PUT with version control, to enable anyone to
contribute. There might be one person acting as a general maintainer, but this
person would not be burdened with maintaining all of the content too.

The content could consist of both original notes and documentation as well as
links to existing resources. People can write about topics they have
experience with and understand, or provide elaboration for topics written by
others. The idea is that with enough contributions, the body of knowledge
should converge on what could be the ultimate resource on DGD.

Dworkin would ideally have a hand in it too, of course, but that determination
remains with him.  :-)

To promote consistency, the documents should adhere to some set of style
rules, possibly enforced by style sheets or macro processing. In the best
case, the content would be written in a general enough format to produce HTML
as well as other forms of presentation.

These are just some preliminary ideas. Comments? Other ideas?

FWIW, I am willing to donate resources and time to provide some of this
proposed infrastructure.

--
Robert Leslie
rob at mars.org