[DGD] Re: Strange clone_object behaviour

Tim Blommerde T.Blommerde at et.tudelft.nl
Sun Sep 13 01:01:19 CEST 1998

Greetings readers and especially mr. E. van Harte,

<snip>

>What I would like to know is what your clone_object() efun looks like
>in the auto-object, because the kfun clone_object() takes an _object_
>value these days, not a string value, so assuming here that FTP_USER is
>a define of a string, then clone_object() cannot have been the kfun.

Well, I haven't tinkered with the auto object what so ever.  It's the object
that comes with the standard dgd package, though it might be changed a bit
by either the patches 1.1p1 to 1.1p6, the net package and/or the object-info
package.  The clone_object() in the auto object takes two strings as an
argument, the first being the path and the second, being an user id.  The
only return value in this function though is:
    return ::clone_object(obj);
Where 'obj' is the object returned by the original kfun find_object() with
as variable the path string.  So, for as far as I can deduct, the
clone_object() function in the auto object is alright. And yes, 'FTP_USER'
is indeed a string.

>As for your questions at the top: yes, clone_object() should return an
>object with a  '<master_file>#<id>' type name.

Phew... (*smile*)

<snip>

>It would screw mine too, believe me. :-)  Something's odd about your
>clone_object() efun, I think.
>
>Erwin.

Well, hopefully with this extra information you or somebody else can help my
find this little critter.  Thanks for the reply and hope to hear from you
again.

Tim

Ps. Btw, are there a lot of people using the lib that comes with the dgd
driver, or is everybody writing/has written their own version?  And if so,
have you based it on the original lib, or used the 2.4.5 or Melville lib as
a skeleton?