[DGD]serialisation/deserialisation of mixed data.

Par Winzell zell at ncal.verio.com
Wed Apr 28 20:40:41 CEST 1999

Howdy,

> > Are you sure you want to store LPC datatypes wihin a mysql database,
> > redoing what's already solved in DGD? :)

> yes ... since i need the search abilities of the database and expect
> a lot of documents/objects if I ever come to the point to test the
> system. One part of the system will be (is) a html server and to achieve
> link consistency every single bitmap has to be an object.

If you are used to writing LPC, there's a fair chance that it'd be quicker
to write a SQL*Net implementation than to write these kfuns in C. I don't
know how proprietary the protocol is, but SQL and the DB functionality
shouldn't be too hard to do?

But, do you even need SQL? Do you have clients that specifically use it?
If not, DGD is a splendid database, and of course it is a simple thing to
associate searchable/indexed entries with each piece of data. If you using
SQL simply because it's easy, you may want to question this assumption.

Zell