[DGD]I created a monster! (or, what have I done?)

Danne Solli dsi at xinit.se
Mon Aug 2 14:02:00 CEST 1999

No, don't take first part of the subject seriously. It's the other part I am
not sure of...

I thought it would be neat to ansi-fy the mudlib I am working on, but I
instantly stumbled on something I can't explain. :)

Using a nice little lpc-eval program, this is what I get:

Eval: "\x1b[31mText\x1b[0m" = "[31mText[0m"

Upon closer examination:

Eval: "\x1b[31mText\x1b[0m"[0] = 27

The first character in the string is indeed the escape character. Now, why
doesn't anything happen? (I tried the exact same thing on two other muds,
and they give me a nice red colour, so I guess/trust it's not my terminal
that's playing games with me)

So, does Dgd dislike the escape char in some way, or have I done something
strange in my mudlib (in I/O routines)?

[It's not really my mudlib, there are others who also develop it, but I like
 to be a little possessive on occasion. Come to think about it, when it works
 it's my mudlib, when something goes wrong - like right now - it's probably
 their fault. So on behalf of the other developers - what could be wrong?]

It's Dgd 1.1.71 btw.

Cheers,
Dan Solli, dsi at xinit.se