[DGD]Melville Mudlib

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Mon Jul 19 21:50:57 CEST 1999

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Tenebrae Skotos wrote:

>[...]
> Before Skotos purchased a license from iChat/Acuity for DGD, we evaluated a
> number of drivers and mudlibs, including Melville. We really liked DGD, but
> no existing mud libs really fit the bill to take advantage of the power of
> DGD. Instead, we decided to write our own. The lead designer is Par Winzell,
> who worked extensively with Felix when DGD was originally licensed to
> Acuity.
>
> We have been developing one from scratch since February, and we hope to have
> a public version of our Basic Lib available in October. It will be available
> with a free non-commercial license similar to the current DGD license, or as
> a license from us (along with DGD itself) for commercial purposes, or also
> license the DGD driver alone. We also will be hosting commercial games under
> an 'associate' program where we do the billing and our associates create the
> games.

So what does this mean for people on this mailing list, including
non-commercial users?

DGD will remain free for non-commercial use.  I will continue to
improve and enhance it.  The influence of Skotos on the development
of DGD will be the same as that of all other users: by providing
feedback, ideas for new features, and completely new uses for DGD
that I had not thought of myself.  Backward compatibility will be
maintained.

What changes is mudlib development.  The bar has been raised: new
mudlibs, including the one now in development by Skotos, will have
persistence, global upgrading, and a host of other interesting
features, using the capabilities of DGD to the fullest.  Most
important will be that these mudlibs exist at all -- there has
been rather a dearth of them, as far as DGD is concerned -- but
also, we are finally going to leave the 2.4.5 legacy, still visible
even in the Lima mudlib, behind.  Muds of the future are going to
be very different beasts, at least technically.

I expect a lot of commercially inspired design, including (I hope)
graphical muds.

As a side effect, I expect DGD to gradually eclipse the other LPC
servers.

It's going to be interesting.