[DGD]Lambda functions, and functionpointers

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Jun 16 16:32:53 CEST 1999

Daniel Sloan <sloand at alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, you wrote:
> > Daniel Sloan <sloand at alphalink.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any intention to introduce some form of functionpointers or even
> > > lambda functions into the DGD driver, or into a seperate package?
> > >
> > > I know some people don't like them, or believe that its hard to make a good
> > > implementation, but I find them rather handy at times, and would like to know
> > > if this is something that will one day exist in DGD...
> >
> > Never.
>[...]
>
> Out of curiosity, can I ask why? :-)

For the usual reasons -- I don't like them, and consider them
difficult to implement properly.  I also think they have no place
in languages with virtual inheritance, such as LPC and Java.

There are alternative drivers that implement function pointers:

    ftp://ftp.sigmasoft.com/pub/mud/driver/
    http://www.bearnip.com/lars/proj/ldmud.html
    ftp://ftp.imaginary.com/pub/LPC/servers/MudOS/