[DGD]Telnet GOAHEAD

sampsa at netsonic.fi sampsa at netsonic.fi
Thu Mar 11 01:55:25 CET 1999

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Geir Harald Hansen wrote:

> How do I get DGD to send GOAHEAD or EOR to notify a mudclient of prompts?
> Without it, it can look quite ugly sometimes. Do I need to patch the
> driver for this?

 When I was writing a DGD based MUD, I had a patched DGD net package
which had support for prompt and screen size detection. Since MudOS also
uses these and doesn't seem to have too many problems with it, I think
this is is quite safe. Another solution to patching the DGD binary would
be to write a connection object (as known in kernel lib) in binary port to
emulate telnet, this is cleaner way, altough pure C is always faster.
Tough a parse_string based telnet might be quite nice, stable and even
fast.

 My patches also included a way to dump the connection and
user data to disk, and to exec new driver saving the connections. I
used this for "online" upgrade of the driver (not driver object) itself.
How this was done was, first whole mud to dumped to disk (connection and
user data appended), exec new driver, and restore from dump and check if
the connections were still valid. Dump file itself was compatible with
standard one.

 If there is enough interest on my patches, I might be able to find the
DGD source tree I used and write a little patch for the network package to
support these features.

 - Sampsa Ranta (aka Sieni in mud world)