[DGD]Hello world.

Serhat Sakarya serhat at freud.et.tudelft.nl
Tue Nov 2 10:42:46 CET 1999

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, John West McKenna wrote:

> The other major part I'm working on is the universe model.  I want to get
> away from the standard room-based model and towards something based on
> landmarks.  Rooms are fine for indoor locations (and will be supported as
> a special case of containers), but don't work at all outside.  If I'm
> standing on the street outside the pub, why can't I see the crowd of a
> hundred people standing 20 metres away?

Heh, interesting. We have been thinking about a kind of hybrid way of
handling both "coordinate based" environments and "room based" environments,
where the "type" depends completely on the environment -- it determines
the way objects see the environment and other objects.. or at least, it
tells an object which other objects it can detect in the environment.

Also consider advanced "detectors". For example you could have an area
with a bunker in it. If you are outside and wish to scan an area for
certain things (emitters, life forms, etc), you should also scan the
inside of the bunker (assuming the walls can be penetrated). Of course,
you can pass a 'request' on to the bunker, which checks its contents, etc.
Obvious pitfall.. scanning a huge region of space.. scanning ALL objects
on a huge planet just doesn't appeal to me :-)

Anyway..

It seems lots of people are working on their own mudlib and independently
reaching more or less the same ideas.. isn't there some mailinglist on DGD
mudlibs somewhere? It might be nice to throw some ideas around and hhm..
maybe work out or develop some things in some sort of cooperative setup.

Regards,

Serhat Sakarya