[DGD]callout order

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed Nov 3 00:54:50 CET 1999

I am considering removing some guarantees on callout order as they
exist now: at present the order in which short-term callouts (integer
delay <= 127 seconds, including 0) are executed, when the delay
has passed, is the order in which they were created.  I'd like
to remove that guarantee: if you start two callouts with a 5
second delay immediately after eachother, they could be executed
in any order.  However, they <will> both be executed before a callout
delayed for 6 seconds.

What I propose above is already the case for long-term (>= 128 seconds)
and millisecond callouts.

This change would substantially speed up DGD on a multi-processor
system, support for which I will be adding immediately after I
complete the implementation of atomic functions.

Comments?