[DGD]Re:Rooms with views

Gregory D Lewis glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Wed Nov 3 03:56:16 CET 1999

> I don't like rooms.  I also don't like coordinates, although the reasons
> behind that are much harder to explain.  I'm thinking more along the lines
> of a web of objects, joined by spatial relationships ("a little to the
> south-east of", "on top of" "a long way north" - I'm inclined to make the
> distances fuzzy rather than precise measurements, but I'm not sure why).

Surely you need to keep a system of coordinates at least internally?
Otherwise you will have difficulty resolving things such as "can I move
from my current location to location B" or "can I move from my current
location x units of distance south" or "can I see object foo from my
current location".

> Each object also has a size, and large objects can be seen from further
> away.

Size isn't the only factor in this.  Contrast with the surroundings is also
important (i.e. differences in colour or brightness).

There have been some lengthy discussions on these sorts of things on the
MUD-Dev list over the years (check the mailing list archives on kanga.nu).

--
Greg Lewis                              Applied Maths Department
Email : glewis at maths.adelaide.edu.au    University of Adelaide