[DGD]Patches

Jason Cone jcone at uscdev.com
Wed Apr 12 03:07:23 CEST 2000

> "Jason Cone" <jcone at uscdev.com> wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > at all as compared to its scripting/interpreter counterparts).  I have a
> > hard time believing that Dworkin is putting so much work (and solid
theory)
> > behind this product just so people can run a better, free MUD.  He did,
> > after all, rename it from Dworkin's _Game_ Driver to Dworkin's _Generic_
> > Driver.
>
> You will be surprised to learn that my motivation for adding MP support
> to DGD is mostly commercial.  It is not anything that I am going to make
> money with directly, but then again, the real money will be in mudlibs.
> I hope that MP support for DGD is going to make the goal of running an
> EverQuest-sized mud on a single machine attainable.  Keeping this in
> mind, Skotos' $75K fee begins to look entirely reasonable.

Actually, I'm not surprised at all. :)  Like I said above, I'd have an
awfully hard time believing that you were doing so if your sights weren't
set on something larger than the stereotypical MUD.  I completely agree,
though, that $75K is nothing compared to the other costs that'll be incurred
in doing something of EverQuest-like scope.  The context in which I've been
presenting a point of view, though, has been with those projects that are
significantly less complex than EverQuest yet have commercial merit.

> [...]
> I don't regret going Massively Commercial with DGD, since this allowed
> me to continue improving it as an independent developer.  It is a pity
> that the server is now out of reach for the small-scale commercial
> developer -- but that's how it is.

I understand.  I, for one, am not calling your decision into question, but
rather the decisions and circumstances that now surround DGD-specific
commercial opportunity for those other than SkotOS.  I hear, understand, and
otherwise acknowledge the decisions that've been made.  I just wanted to
make sure that people weren't of the opinion that all it took was a $200
check and, bam!, they're free to realize the <insert nation here> Dream
without further due or obligation.  As we've discussed, there's more to it.
;)

If this whole licensing thing were getting in my way of realizing some
killer application (which, in my opinion, web-based applictions have more of
a commercial and revenue-generating future than do EverQuest-like games), I
would probably pursue the points futher.  But because there are other
suitable alternatives out there for non-game server scenarios, I merely
wanted this to be a matter of clarifying what is, not what should be.

Having now said all of this, we might want to add the particulars of the
commercial license to the FAQ.  Or, at the very least, have Mr. Allen
enumerate the discussed points on a linkable web page.

JC