[DGD]Questions about DGD

Tavis Elliott tavise at nwlink.com
Tue Jan 4 06:13:28 CET 2000

First, I think the DGD driver is pretty good.  I have a couple problems however,
and I was wondering if I could get someone to help me out.  Driver 1.1p7, mudlib
is a version of "MudOS-alike for DGD v1.1".

1) The driver boots and runs fine, mostly.  If something is going strange, however,
I like to put debug statements in.  At one point I put a debug message in a
function that calls ::send_message() in the driver.  (it relates to the next
problem)  The driver runs fine until I put this debug message in (DRIVER->notify(
msg )), and now it gives the the following error:

> Caught: Out of ticks
> Object: /dgd/lib/sys/driver at line 55
> Got: send_message(termcap_word_wrap str: Choose a unique password for your
character: |
> ")
> 'send_message' in /dgd/lib/sys/driver.c at line 55
> 'send' in /dgd/lib/sys/driver.c at line 74
> 'notify' in /dgd/lib/sys/driver.c at line 89
> 'termcap_word_wrap' in /dgd/lib/std/connection.c (/dgd/lib/std/connection#11)
at line 219
> 'send_message' in /dgd/lib/std/connection.c (/dgd/lib/std/connection#11) at
line 270
> 'receive' in /dgd/lib/sys/auto.c (/std/obj/user#12) at line 16

What is this error all about, and what can I do to avoid it in the future?

2) I am having a very weird messaging problem.  Most messages that I send back
to the user work fine.  A particular series of messages, however, seem to get
weirdly formatted in the following manner:

> Welcome!
>
>        Please do not disconnect until your character has been created.
>                                                                       The
creation will not take long.

>                       Choose a unique password for your character:

At all debugging points in the actual mudlib, the strings are printed out fine,
however the user sees weird formatting.  When I put the debug statement in described
in problem (1), the strings were printed out correctly on the user telnet screen,
although the driver aborted with 'Out of ticks.'  The message printed correctly
looks like:

> Welcome!
>
>Please do not disconnect until your character has been created.
>The creation will not take long.
>
>Choose a unique password for your character:

Strange, I think, and I have no idea how to continue.
Thanks for any help!

Tavis Elliott
tavise at nwlink.com
http://www.nwlink.com