[DGD]C# vs. LPC

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Tue Jun 27 20:33:12 CEST 2000

"Christopher Allen" <ChristopherA at skotos.net> wrote:

> Felix A. Croes wrote:
> > Is there perhaps a more comprehensive overview available on the web?
> > The two links available at the bottom of that page do not execute on
> > my computer, and the page mentioned above does not, in itself, make
> > sense.  I cannot tell, for instance, if LPC also allows "for typed,
> > extensible metadata that can be applied to any object."
>
> The two files were self-extracting zip files. I will send the two
> files decompressed to you under a separate email (if anyone else wants
> the files, let me know).

I've browsed through them...  I think this started with a couple of
C++ programmers -- Anders Hejlsberg and Scott Wiltamuth -- getting
frustrated with Java and hacking together a new language, which is
somewhere in between Java and C++.

Like Java, it has interfaces and single inheritance.  From C++, it
inherits a number of goodies, among which are the C preprocessor,
overloading of predefined predefined operators with the <operator>
keyword, structs, function pointers, and a general sense of
unfinished-ness: unlike Java, it is not intended to be closed and
complete.

There is no documentation of a predefined runtime environment, and my
guess is that none is forthcoming: this is just a language like C or
C++, no more.  It is strongly bound to Windows, naturally.

To answer your question, I do not think that C# has anything that could
be of interest for LPC that Java does not also have, the most important
of which are, in my opinion: object types; constants and interfaces as
a replacement for the C preprocessor; non-persistent objects that are
garbage collected (of course, in a MUD persistence is what you want,
so garbage collected objects are an ambiguous improvement).

LPC is a very simple language.  Java is a simple language with some
complex rules under the hood.  C# is, at this point, a rather
sloppily-designed language that is closer to "C++ without pointers"
than to "Java with improvements."