[DGD]C# vs. LPC

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Tue Jun 27 20:59:36 CEST 2000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> LPC is a very simple language.  Java is a simple language with some
> complex rules under the hood.  C# is, at this point, a rather
> sloppily-designed language that is closer to "C++ without pointers"
> than to "Java with improvements."

Actually, from the perspective of Microsoft, C# has one
enormous improvement over Java, which is that it is not
controlled by Sun. Microsoft, in order to protect its
monopoly in PC-compatible operating systems, desperately
needs to destroy the ability of Java to produce software
that is OS-independent. Its previous strategy has been
to introduce OS-dependent features into its version of
Java. It is about to lose a lawsuit against Sun because
that strategy is illegal. (That lawsuit should not be
confused with the one Microsoft already lost against the
US Justice Department; it is separate.) C# is Microsoft's
new strategy; if it cannot destroy Java from within, by
producing "polluted" versions of Java, then it will create
a competitor product and try to destroy Java via more
traditional predation.

As far as I can tell, in my position as an economist who
teaches regulation and antitrust but does not program in
any language developed more recently than LPC, there is
no other reason for the creation of C#.

Disclaimer #1: I am not, and never have been, employed as
a consultant by either Microsoft or the US Justice Department.
(All my colleagues make that disclaimer, so I guess I should
as well ;)

Disclaimer #2: I realize I'm wandering off topic here, but
the discussion was already far enough from LPC and DGD that
I thought I'd risk one post. No plans for any more on this
topic. Further discussion by email, please. Apologies to
anyone offended by the above post.

Stephen Schmidt

It is vain to expect a well-balanced government without a
well-balanced society.
			-- Gideon Welles