[DGD]Tracking auto_object usage

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu Mar 23 15:56:39 CET 2000

"Kevin N. Carpenter" <kevinc at monrou.com> wrote:

> Unclear writing on my part...  Let me back up and try again:
>
> I want to keep track of all programs that inherit an object.
> It seems the best place to do that is during execution of the
> driver's inherit_program()function.  The program doing the
> inheritance doesn't exist yet, since its being compiled, so
> it isn't eligible to store anything.  That implies that the
> inherited object itself needs to keep track of who inherits it.

Not necessarily -- it could be maintained in a completely independent
database, with the added advantage that the database can choose to
distribute the data across several objects.

>[...]
> I do mask the compile_object kfun, redirecting it to my object
> manager code.  Unfortunately, I don't see how that will help me
> know I need to recompile an object, or what objects need to be
> recompiled, when the auto object is destructed.

My turn to clarify my writing.  Whether or not the auto object is
destructed is important in my version of the object registry, but
may not be so in yours.  What matters is that, from a masked
compile_object() function, a simulated driver->inherit_program()
call can be performed -- or rather, the relevant portion of
inherit_program() can be copied here.