[DGD]statedumping

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Wed May 10 22:03:39 CEST 2000

"Risto Karjalainen" <risto.karjalainen at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

Please don't post RTF messages to the mailing list.

>[...]
> I may be stupid or I just know too little of things but there's
> one things that bugs me like hell:
>
> Isn't those reboots needed to clear the computer's memory of the shite that
> the mud-driver has created there? And if so, how does these statedumps work
> then? If I reboot and restore the mud state from a state-dump, isn't the memory
> filled up with that old shite again as all those unnecessary objects are loaded
> in the memory again? Or is that statedump just a kind of a crash recovery
> system and it's not necessary to boot the MUD at all?

You are quite right, state dumps don't help if most of the objects that
are part of the mud's state are garbage.  Apart from state dumps, you
also need the discipline to clean up such garbage, or not to create it
in the first place.  This is actually accepted practise in any type of
mud other than LPmud.  In such muds, running out of memory due to too
many garbage objects is a disaster that would not just cause a reboot,
but would put a permanent stop to the mud itself -- unless there is an
old statedump to restore from.