[DGD]DGD Crashes

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu Nov 9 18:55:31 CET 2000

"Lord Lerkista" <lerkista at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Why when i´m connected to internet by a phone line and my ISP disconnects
> me, the DGD crashes my computer??

I don't know what kind of Mac and what version of MacOS you use, but
I managed to reproduce this crash on my Mac SE with System 6.0.8,
MacTCP 2.0.6 and PPP 2.0.1.

Observations: the crash happens in the PPP control panel, about a
second after the PPP link is closed (I closed it from the PPP
control panel).  It only happens if DGD has an external connection
at this point.  There are no GetNextEvent() return values indicating
something wrong, there is no MacTCP callback to DGD, and DGD issues
no MacTCP calls in the period from the closing of the PPP link to
the crash.

Furthermore, exactly the same crash happened once when I had a
pending telnet connection from the Mac while closing the PPP
link, with DGD not running.  As with DGD, this crash doesn't
always occur under those circumstances.

Conclusion: this is a bug in either MacTCP or PPP 2.0.1.

Depending on your type of Mac, you may be able to prevent the
crash if you also enable TCP via AppleTalk.