[DGD]dgd information?

E. Harte harte at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 9 19:50:07 CEST 2000

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Lance Artman wrote:

>    Hey all:)  I'm an old scripter/mudder looking to make a simple mud with
> LPC...got the kernel that comes with DGD 1.1p8 to learn from, but it's not
> enough to reverse-engineer the language.  I might be able to do better with
> documentation for the kernel -- as it is I can log in as admin but that's
> about it, no help, no list of commands, no idea how to use the kernel to
> build a mud.  I'd rather strip the kernel bare and do it all myself but my
> main problem is I know nada about LPC.  Is DGD LPC compatible with LPC used
> in other drivers?

For most intents and purposes, like building a mudlib and areas: Yes.

>                    Anyone know where I can get docs on LPC?  Not how it's
> different from c or this or that, the whole nine yards...any help Greatly
> appreciated:)

That's more difficult to answer.  The only two things I can think of are
dgd/doc/LPC.html in the DGD source-tree, which is a bit minimal and
obviously lacking most details about the language or even DGD's specifics,
and the [in]famous LPC documents written by Descartes, which explain some
basics regarding the data-structures and language constructs in LPC.

    ftp://ftp.imaginary.com/pub/LPC/doc/BasicLPC.tar.gz

If you are a mudder and playing somewhere, my best advice for getting to
know the LPC language is to 'wiz' on one of the existing LPmuds and, well,
just learn from examples present there.  Given that you imply to have some
experience with scripting languages, you shouldn't have much trouble
picking up the structure and details in LPC.

> ------------------------------<  *^.^*  >------------------------------
> Lance Artman, Dragon Extraordinaire
> "I'm about to belch, honey, get the extinguisher!"
> email = dracozombie at yahoo.com
> home = http://www.inhousemall.com/zombie/
> ICQ = 2835770
> AIM = TheZombie0
> NEWnet / DALnet = TheZombie

Cute, but could you (a) put a sig-separator there: '-- ' and (b) cut it
down to 4x70 characters?

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck. :-)

Erwin.
--
Erwin Harte  -  Forever September, 2566 and counting  -  harte at xs4all.nl
[ 5:20pm  up 31 days, 21:51, 12 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00 ]