[DGD]Global Reset

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Mon Sep 11 19:50:38 CEST 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, E. Harte wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Stephen Schmidt wrote:
> > DGD has no heart_beat() function. None. It just has call_out().
> > If you want a heart beat, you've got to code it in the mudlib.

> If you're implying here that the 2.4.5 DGD lib doesn't have the
> heart_beat() functionality in the auto-object, you're wrong:

I'm not. I'm distinguishing between DGD (the driver) and the
2.4.5 DGD lib (a mudlib). It is my perception, possibly wrong,
that most people who use DGD do -not- use the 2.4.5 mudlib.
Statements about "DGD" should therefore not assume that the
2.4.5 lib is the one in use; they should be general to any
mudlib the user might be using (or might be coding for
themselves). And actually, I think statements should be
that way even if most people are using the 2.4.5 lib.

With that distinction made, I think Erwin has described
the heart_beat() in the 2.4.5 lib perfectly accurately and
we don't really have any disagreement here. In particular:

Me:
> > It's much better to have each one handle its own updating,
> > and stagger the cycles.... Keep all necessary centralized
> > information in a (small!) daemon object, and have each object
> > call into it to get the information it needs.

Him:
> Yes.  That is probably the most practical solution, and similar to mine,
> but like mine quite likely not what the original poster was hoping to
> implement. :-)

and I concur completely with that.

Quoting out of sequence:
> What is "the traditional way" according to you?  I'm confused.

Generally: heart_beat() is available only for living objects,
and there is code in heart_beat() which handles healing, checks
for combat, and other CPU-intense things, which cannot be, or
at least usually isn't, bypassed and is thus expensive to call.
2.4.5, 3.x, and most of the MudOS mudlibs all fit that general
description.
I don't have a more specific description than that in mind.

Steve

"Bill Gates' biggest fear is not that some kid is brewing up the next killer
app in his garage in Kenosha. His biggest fear is that some kid will brew up
the next killer app in his garage in Kenosha and Microsoft won't own it."
	Seattle Times, 4/1-7 2000