[DGD]Object manager released

Geir Harald Hansen geirhans at ifi.uio.no
Thu Sep 21 02:39:08 CEST 2000

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 08:00:58PM -0400, Chris Kaczor wrote:
> Okay - I have to admit that I'm a bit lost.  What exactly does this do and
> how should it be used?

The object manager plugs into the kernel library and keeps tab on which
objects exist and their inheritance structure.  This information is used
to allow upgrading objects in place.  Instead of destructing an object
and then compiling the new version, the existing object is upgraded with
new code without losing its state.  If you upgrade an inherited object,
all objects below it in the inheritance structure are upgraded.

Using the information from the object manager, I can also display
information about objects, such as their inheritance tree.

There was a discussion about object upgrading on this mailing list.
Perhaps you find it if you check the archives, about a year back I think.
Look at ftp://ftp.dworkin.nl/pub/dgd/list-archive/

> Right now I'm playing around with designing my own lib by starting with
> Melville and tearing it apart to my liking.  I think I understand everything
> that is going on there - but this new stuff gets me lost.

Melville does not use the kernel library.  The kernel library is very
elegant and powerful.  If you want to make a mudlib from scratch, I would
suggest basing it on the kernel library.  But if you want to start with
an existing mudlib, then Melville is the only option.

> Please tell me if this means that I'm in way over my head in trying to use
> DGD and if I should give up.  I tried to read up on the kernel library and
> related things, but didn't find much in the way of documentation.

I don't think you are in over your head.  And you don't *have* to use all
the features of DGD.  Unfortunately, documentation is poor in most areas
of DGD.  And there is little example code, especially covering the new
features that make DGD a good option over other drivers out there.

That is something I think we should try to rectify.  At least now you have
error and object managers available if you want to try doing something with
the kernel library.  And it is my hope that others will also release
some code.

- Geir