[DGD]Re: Performance Characteristics

Tavis Elliott tavise at nwlink.com
Fri Sep 22 18:33:53 CEST 2000

[ Attempting to re-send this in plain text, since Microsoft decided to
handle cut/paste into Outlook in an entirely non-intuitive way ]

I am currently experiencing some performance concerns with my game using
DGD, and I was wondering if anyone has some insight (or documentation I can
go look at) which describes some of the config options, particularly:

swap_size	= 65535;		/* # sectors in swap file */
cache_size	= 256;			/* # sectors in swap cache */
sector_size	= 1024;			/* swap sector size */
swap_fragment	= 512;			/* # of objects to swap out */
static_chunk	= 64512;		/* static memory chunk */
dynamic_chunk	= 523264;		/* dynamic memory chunk */

The above are taken from my configuration.  I'd like to know what the exact
meaning of static_chunk, and dynamic_chunk are, and I'm also interested to
know how they relate to the swap file.  At first glance it looks like the
amount of cache I have configured is woefully low compared to the total size
of the swap file.  Is this true?

I am experiencing periods of very high cpu usage, (on the order of 50% of
the total machine cpu) which I cannot account for in the mudlib.  I have
placed timings around all the sections of execution the mudlib is involved
with, and I can only account for about 50% of the cpu usage, on average.

In case it's important:  PII Celeron, 433, 256MB memory, FreeBSD 3.3

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!  (I'm loathe to just start
experimenting with the above numbers, since that would require bouncing the
dtherr repeatedly)

Tavis Elliott
Senji at Asgard' Honor
betterbox.net 5454