[DGD]Object manager released

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sat Sep 23 21:58:39 CEST 2000

Stephen Schmidt <schmidsj at union.edu> wrote:

>[...]
> > Try to approach the kernel lib as an operating system rather than
> > a 2.4.5-like mudlib.
>
> This may help illuminate the difficulty. Those without a
> solid background in computer science (a category which
> includes me, FWIW) may not be in a position to approach
> the kernel lib as an operating system; they may not have
> the knowledge or skills or experience for that. (I don't.)

I wasn't aware that any skills were required for such an approach.
Let me rephrase what I wrote: don't expect the kernel lib to be,
in itself, mud-like.  It is something you build a mud -- or perhaps
sometying completely different -- on top of.

>[...]
> I think the target audience for the kernel lib and the target
> audience for Melville are rather different sets of people,
> probably disjoint sets or nearly so, and that that's part
> of the reason why, so many years later, both are still being
> discussed here. I also think a full mud-in-a-box mudlib
> would have a third target audience disjoint from the other
> two, which is why it'd be nice to have one.

There is at least one such mudlib being developed now on top of
the kernel library.

It would, by the way, be easy to rewrite Melville so that it
worked on top of the kernel library, thereby gaining the benefits
that the kernel library provides, and merging both audiences.