[DGD]LPmud error, melville, & mudlibs Oh my!

matthew at mail.island.net matthew at mail.island.net
Sun Apr 22 23:47:48 CEST 2001

[intro]
Hi, first off i am a newbie to dgd and mud building..
And i'm running dgd 1.1 on windows95.
[skills]
I have experiance with C, C++, (win&dos) Assembly, Basic,
VBasic, JavaScript, perl...etc.. I like to start learning
things than give up and learn something else. I kinda go
around in a circle, learning all the languages again and
again, learning a bit more each time.. I'd say i'm least
experianced with C&C++ though, which dgd's lpc is like.
[the error]
I got lpmud and melville off of the dgd faq, it said they
were both for dgd 1.1 so i shouldn't have any problems.
Melville had one problem with the board that was already
there. But i deleted it and when it created the new board
there wasn't a problem. The only problem with melville
now is that there isn't much to it. I want to learn DGD &
lpc by example so i can make my own mud. LPmud for dgd is
a full mud. But i'm having trouble compiling it..
Here's my error:

Preloading: obj/quicktyper
Could not compile "/obj/quicktyper.c"
Preloading: room/adv_guild
Could not compile "/room/adv_guild.c"
Preloading: /obj/living
Could not compile "/obj/living.c"
Preloading: /obj/monster
Could not compile "/obj/monster.c"
Preloading: /obj/treasure
Could not compile "/obj/treasure.c"
Preloading: /obj/weapon
Could not compile "/obj/weapon.c"
Preloading: /obj/armour
Could not compile "/obj/armour.c"
Preloading: room/death/death_mark
Could not compile "/room/death/death_mark.c"
Setting up ipc.

This was of course something I couldn't fix myself.
But this was supposed to compile with dgd1.1 so i'm
wondering if mabye it is something to do with file
names. When I log in and make a character it shows me
the news and stuff but then i get stuck in the prompt
that there is in the kernel library.. and you cannot
do anything.
[conclusion]
If anyone has an idea as to why this error is occuring,
or can point me in the direction of a better mudlib
to learn by example off of - please do!