[DGD]parse_string

Stephen Schmidt schmidsj at union.edu
Tue Apr 24 23:17:18 CEST 2001

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> Some things are just too powerful and too important to dumb down.

Agreed. The important thing is that DGD is not critically
dependent on parse_string(). If, like me, it's more than
you want to deal with, you don't have to use it. If you
have the background to take advantage of it, then it's
there for you.

Also important is to make sure that anything that is critical
is either "dumbed down", or adequately documented so that a
"reasonable" person can figure it out. With the current
documentation, a "reasonable" person has to be pretty good,
better than me in a lot of cases. Whether that's a bad thing
or not depends on how large you want the audience for DGD to
be. I'd like it to be larger, which is why I hope for more
documentation (kernel lib especially) - indeed, part of my
point here is to beg once more for that documentation  ;)

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Erwin Harte wrote:
> And?  Not any different from how bison/yacc or f?lex require certain
> knowledge if you want to work with less-than-trivial grammars on them
> and not trip over your own feet.

Do you think DGD should be as easy (hard) to use as bison/yacc
or f?lex? I think it should be easier, personally.

Steve