[DGD] Access

Mikael Lind z94lind at mtek.chalmers.se
Thu Aug 9 12:04:49 CEST 2001

Quoting pete at ana.sk from 11:27, 2001-08-09:

> Can someone explain how to use access rights in kernel library?
> I though that access function in access daemon takes user name
> as first parameter, but when i looked into auto object, it is sending
> object name of this_object() everywhere as first argument. Should
> that mean i must grant access for EACH OBJECT ??? If yes then
> its useless.

Quoting from /doc/kernel/overview:

<quote>
4. File security

There are 3 access levels: read, write, and access-granting.  By
default, everyone has read access in all directories outside /usr.
Every object in /kernel and /usr/System has global access.
Programmers have access-granting access to their own directory.  A
programmer's objects have the same global read access as the
programmer, the same write access in the programmer's directory, and
can clone and inherit from directories where they have read access.
Objects neither in /usr nor in /kernel only have read access in the
usual directories, and cannot compile or clone new objects at all.

A programmer's access can be changed: administrators have
access-granting access to the root directory.  However, the
programmer's access has no effect on the access of the programmer's
objects.
</quote>

If in doubt, also see /kernel/sys/accessd.c; user can be either a
user name or an object name.

// Mikael / Elemel

--
I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm / To feel connected enough to
step aside and weep like a widow / To feel inspired / To fathom the