[DGD] Access

Mikael Lind z94lind at mtek.chalmers.se
Mon Aug 13 10:41:22 CEST 2001

Quoting Stephen Schmidt from 01:42, 2001-08-12:

> On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Mikael Lind wrote:
> > After some initial problems I had, Dworkin emphasised that
> > compilation and calling are to be kept separate.
>
> Can someone give some intuition as to why this is desirable?
> I understand it, but don't understand the need for it. I have
> not done much work with the kernel, but it seems to me that
> this method requires that, each time an object calls into
> another object, one must check whether the target object is
> compiled, and if not, pass control to a manager object which
> determines whether to compile and proceed, or abort the call,
> based on the identity of the calling object and whatever else
> you want to take into account. Of course it's not a lot of
> code, it's just a matter of putting it into the auto object
> appropriately and creating the manager, but it raises big
> conceptual issues about when the manager should permit
> compiling and when it should not.

No, it is far easier than that. You simply make the assumption that
all objects that you need to access are already compiled. Making sure
that this is the case is not the responsibility of your average
object.

// Mikael / Elemel

--
I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm / To feel connected enough to
step aside and weep like a widow / To feel inspired / To fathom the