[DGD] Mudlibs

James J. Bennett james.bennett at washougal.k12.wa.us
Fri Aug 24 00:49:19 CEST 2001

At 08:59 AM 8/23/01, you wrote:
>Hrmm I am new to LP MUDs all together.  I recently started playing Nightmare
>and was thinking damn this is a really nice MUD.  Then I found out they had a
>mudlib out.  I was thinking hrmm ok cool whatever that is(I have never mudded
>on an LPmud at all before this or even taken the time to mess with them).  I
>have been programming on Diku/Merc based MUDs for a while now.  Anyways I was
>wondering about good Mudlibs for DGD.  Ones that dont take up 4 ports
>preferably.

To the best of my knowledge what you are looking for does not currently
exist.  If you want to start from scratch you could try the melville mudlib
(very minimal lib with just the barest of essentials) as it was written for
DGD.  If you want something playable you can try the port of LPmud, but
that is as I said a port.  You can find both of these at www.imaginary.com
in their ftp section.

>The reason for asking this is because I wanna learn LPC but its
>kinda hard on Mudlibs that are really buggy or dont really have any
>features(code for me to look at).  So if anyone has any suggestions or if I
>should just start from scratch and learn from trial and error(Which to me
>would seem kinda hard :p)?  Anyways thanks in advance.  And also could you
>let me know the version of DGD to run it with?   I am not sure how this list
>works either I dont know if there is an archive or whatever of past messages
>so if this has been asked before I'm sorry.

I have to agree with your thinking on learning how to code LPC.  Unless you
are going to take a class or have someone to sit with you and teach you it
is necessary to have good examples to look at, unfortunately none currently
exists (at least none has been released in the form of a lib).  There is
always hope that one will be developed in the future though....;)

JB